In many individuals with gummy smiles, it may appear that the teeth are shorter than normal. In reality, it is often simply a case of the natural contour and beauty of the enamel being hidden behind the gums. By repositioning the gum line and exposing the full contour of the enamel, an immediate and dramatic improvement in the smile occurs.
|Esthetic Crown Lengthening
One of the major advantages of esthetic crown lengthening is that it is usually completed in one visit. Essentially, the excessive gum tissue that is hiding your teeth, is removed to expose the normal length of the tooth.
With esthetic crown lengthening, you’ll benefit from:
- An enhanced appearance of your teeth so that they no longer look short or like "baby teeth"
- A much more attractive and harmonious smile
- An improved self-image and more self-confidence
- A relatively short healing period with little to no discomfort
- Immediate visible results
In addition to the esthetic benefits derived from crown lengthening, correcting a “gummy” smile can also improve your overall periodontal health. When the gum tissue does not recede normally as adult teeth emerge, pockets can form in the gums, which can result in advanced periodontal disease. By contouring the gums through crown lengthening, you can improve the look and confidence of your smile and also prevent future problems.